A Japanese Spring - Madame Butterfly






Floral Kimono Dress: Asos (Also love this and this)
Leather Jacket: HK boutique - old (Similar here and here)
Belt: Urban Outfitters - old (Similar here and loving this)
Black Cutout Boots: HK Boutique (Similar here)
Gold Bag: Tahari - old

I've always found Japanese prints to be beautiful. The way they mix and match different patterns with different colors create such an exquisite harmony. Actually, I feel like Asians, in general are master mixers because of their colorful traditional garments. 

Anyway, as usual, floral prints are a staple in every girl's wardrobe for the Spring. However, this Asos dress is perfect for all year round because of the darker floral print. If I can get more wear out of a garment for more than one season, that gives me all the reason more to purchase it right? I have to get my money's worth. That's really something to think about when purchasing items that are more costly. You never want to spend a lot of money on an item that you're only going to wear for one season. That's also why, when purchasing a high-end bag, you want to consider the color and material. (Velvet is only good for Fall and Winter, but leather would be good all year round.)

For today's costume design post, I wanted to talk about "Madame Butterfly." It's a tragic love story of a young Japanese girl that marries an American soldier. She waits for his return for 3 years and only to discover that he has married an American woman. It's a little like Miss Saigon. I've never seen the actual production myself, but it's a very famous opera by Puccini and the costumes are spectacular.

Here are two images from the English National Opera in 2006. The simplistic scenic design really makes the costumes stand out. The costume designer was Han Feng.



This is from the Royal Opera House in 2011. Costume designs by Agostino Cavalca.


This is Anthony Minghella's production at the Metropolitan Opera in 2006. Han Feng was also the costume designer for this piece. 
Photo: Marty Sohl/Met Opera.



 One thing that I don't really understand is the white wedding dress. In Asian culture white was usually worn to funerals, especially during this time period. A bride would always wear red. I do know that in this scene, Butterfly is converting to Christianity and gets reprimanded for dismissing her own culture. So maybe that was the justification? I was trying to do a bit of research on it and couldn't really find anything, so if any of you know, please tell me!

Anyway, hope you guys are having a great weekend! I heard it's Spring Break for those of you that are still in school. 

Love,

Maggie S.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Flickr Images