The Great Gatsby






White Sweater: HM - last year (Also loving this that reminds me of the film)
Cream Blazer: HM - last year (Similar here)
Art Deco Rose Gold Skirt: Asos (Also love this)
Gold and Bronze heels: DSW (Another two-toned option here)
Rings and Bracelets: Gifts and Forever 21
Velvet Bag: Chanel



It's been really nice staying at home and spending some quality time with family. I've been able to update my blog more often, if you can't tell already. I recently made an online purchase through Asos. I've bought maybe 2 things from them before and I always seem to have the worst of luck when it comes to buying clothing online. The quality is never what I expect and because I don't get to try it on, the clothing don't always fit like how I imagined they would. Then, it's a big hassle to ship it back and get a refund. However, Asos has a great policy. The company provides a prepaid return sticker and you don't lose any money in shipping back the items that didn't work out.

As a fellow blogger, I feel like it's my duty when it comes to items that are not worth your money. Do NOT buy this item. It's overpriced. I honestly don't care if the design is amazing and is deemed as art. The fabric is 95% polyester and 5% elastane. It's very thin. It is not worth $64. Make sure when you buy things online, you read what the fabric is made out of. I've actually encountered the same thing with NastyGal. I don't understand how some dresses can be over $60 when the quality of the fabric is so poor. It's very annoying. I'm so glad Asos has such a good return policy.

Anyway, I've been meaning to do a post dedicated to The Great Gatsby for awhile, but I really didn't own anything that was art deco enough. Then, I saw this skirt on Asos and loved the design. Forever 21 makes really cheap sequin skirts, but they barely ever have great designs on them.

The Roaring 20s was a huge breakthrough in fashion. Women kissed their corsets goodbye and started wearing clothing that allowed movement. It was the era of jazz and being able to dance was very important. Why else do you think there was so much beading on their dresses?

Catherine Martin was the costume designer for this film, but I bet you wouldn't have known she was also the production designer and one of the producers for this visual feast. You might also know her from Moulin Rouge.  She worked alongside Miuccia Prada and Brooks Brothers to create the 1920s inspired costumes. Miuccia Prada supplied 40 background dresses along with sone of Carey Mulligan's costumes and Brooks Brothers helped out with 1,200 costumes.

Here are some sketches.


Tiffany and Co. was a major jewelry supplier for this film. The girls were wearing real diamonds that were worth millions of dollars!


This chandelier dress and the fur (above) shawl was made by Miuccia Prada. 


The silhouettes were not 100% accurate to the time period. Catherine designed dresses to be more form fitting than the early 20s because it was just more flattering on screen. History fact: with introduction of photography, the boyish silhouette didn't last very long because people saw how they actually looked on film. 



The director strongly disapproved of seeing this film through a nostalgic lens. He wanted the modern audience to view it as if they were part of the era. 



I never really thought the 20s was a great time period for costumes because it was just unflattering to the average woman's body. The dropped waist elongated the torso, which created a shortness in legs. Only stick figures would look good in the flapper dresses. However, I do love the modern interpretation of the 20s. It's much more flattering. After watching this film, I have a new appreciation of this era. 

Love,
Maggie S.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Flickr Images