Tron: Legacy

leather jacket: hk, silver sweater: h&m, shorts: hk - maple, bucket bag: h&m, boots: ebay Honestly, there's really not...


leather jacket: hk, silver sweater: h&m, shorts: hk - maple, bucket bag: h&m, boots: ebay

Honestly, there's really nothing special about my outfit except for the sparkly sweater and the studded boots. Haha. But anyway, it's finally Autumn in Los Angeles and I can now wear layered pieces with ease. I know, us Californians are so spoiled and we complain about the weather being too cold when it's only 65 degrees. I don't think I can ever imagine living in the East Coast. I think I'd freeze to death. 

I have to admit, as much as I hate the traffic in Los Angeles, the night view of the city is absolutely beautiful. Daytime is filled with congested cars and cacophony, but at night, the city transforms. "Night time heightens and sharpens each sensation. Darkness stirs and wakes imagination." (If anyone can guess where that's from, you get a brownie point.) The city finally quiets down and the the buildings light up like stars.

Anyway, the city lights reminded me of one of my favorite costume design films, Tron: Legacy. I have to say, this film is probably tied with Snow White and the Huntsman for best costume design in my book. Both films show such great creativity. 

There were two costume designers for this film, Christine Clark and Michael Wilkinson. Of course, they tried to stay true to the original movie with the clean lines, but the costumes needed a dramatic update. They were basically just spandex with white lines. 


From the beginning, the designers knew that they wanted to use practical lighting on the suits. They found a special effects house in Los Angeles called Quantum Creation FX that just developed a new technology that had been used on Japanese security vests. They were basically thin vinyl sheeting that was flexible and pliable, which was amazing to use because you don't want cheesy LED lights on such a modern film. The technical name for the vinyl sheeting is called polymer-based elastomeric electro luminescent lamp.


The power from lighting the suits were hidden in their back disks with lithium batteries that probably lasted around 12 minutes.


Quorra's costume was a bit different from the rest. If you noticed, her costume was not symmetrical like the others. 





I remember reading somewhere that the actors initially thought the suits were going to be very lame when they lit up. They probably thought the costumes were going to have LED lights on it or something, but when they had their fitting, they were utterly speechless.


Tron: Legacy really revolutionized costume design in film. It created a new set of possibilities that we never would have thought of 10 years back. 

Oh, how I wish I owned a Tron costume. One of these days, I'll make one for Halloween. 

Anyway, hope you guys have a wonderful week! I just finished filming and will be going to Hong Kong in two weeks!

Love,
Maggie S.


All information was based off of the interview from LA Times with Christine Clark. (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/alltherage/2010/12/tron-legacy-costume-designer-talks-light-up-suits-pixie-hairdos-and-spanx-.html)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Flickr Images