The Artist

twill jacket: cotton on, black polka dot blouse: marc jacobs, skirt: betsey johnson, heels: forever 21, chain bag: bcbg Graysc...




twill jacket: cotton on, black polka dot blouse: marc jacobs, skirt: betsey johnson, heels: forever 21, chain bag: bcbg

Grayscale is all the rage this Fall, or actually mainly just black and white. I think I first started seeing the trend on Aimee Song when she went to New York Fashion week. Chriselle Lim was also sporting black and white ensembles. I, myself thought I'd give this trend a try. I tend to gravitate towards white a lot, but this time I opted for an all black outfit with a black and white jacket. 

Funny story: While I was in Grad School for Costume Design, I was sort of known as the costume designer that designs only in grayscale. The very first show I designed, the director wanted the whole cast to be in black. It was awesome to think outside of the box and play with textures so that it's more visually appealing. Also, I didn't want everyone to look flat on stage under the bright lights. The second show I designed, the choreographer wanted all his dancers in white. Seeing a trend? My fourth show was Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, and guess what? The director wanted a grayscale 1930s version of Hamlet. Then my fifth show, the director wanted it to be Victorian Goth with everyone in black except for one red dress. 

Since we're talking about grayscale outfits, I thought I'd dedicate this post to the film, The Artist. Michael Bridges, the costume designer received his first Oscar award. As I've said before, color plays a vital role in costume design. Since this film was going to be in grayscale, Michael found another way to tell the story and that was through the usage of textures. 

You can really see the different textures in Peppy Miller's costumes. She starts out with a very flat dress. 


As she becomes a famous movie star, there's more layers and textures on her outfit - whether it is with embellishments or fur. 



This is much later in the film, but you can see how sequins and beads really make a big difference.


On the other hand, you see George Valentin's costume get disheveled.





The wider lapel was really popular until the 50s when everything became really sleek and skinny. This is a great shot because you can really see the detail on the costumes. The director's assistant is wearing a pinstriped suit while the director is wearing a wool textured three-piece suit. You also see the hierarchy in menswear in just this frame. Back then, men almost always dressed up. Don't you wish it were the same now?


The classic double breasted suit was also really popular. If you look closely, you'll see that he's wearing wing tipped shoes and those are still quite popular today.


Hope you guys are having a fantastic week! 

Love,
Maggie S.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Flickr Images