Shakespeare in Love

white embroidered sweater: h&m, skirt: prada, metal clutch: zara, heels: fornarina I've always been more fond of shorter s...


white embroidered sweater: h&m, skirt: prada, metal clutch: zara, heels: fornarina

I've always been more fond of shorter skirts because they usually give the illusion of longer legs. However, with the colder months approaching, many are resorting to the longer lengths, myself included. Also, with the introduction of the television series Mad Men, the fashion realm has shifted from the shorter  hemline to the classic knee length skirt. That being said, I live in LA where most girls still resort to mini skirts.

I found this beautiful Prada skirt at Crossroads, of course and you all know my obsession of all things 18th century. Initially, I picked it out because of the brocade detail, but when I saw it was Prada, I kind of had to buy it. I know. Terrible justification. Anyway, I'm so bummed because I can't find which collection this is from. If any of you know which collection, I would love to hear from you. 

The silhouette of my outfit definitely screams 1950s, but the print is more 18th Century inspired so instead of dedicating this post to a 50s film, I'm going to talk about one of the best costume design films ever made, Shakespeare in Love. If you are a costume junkie like me, you'd die. This film is so extravagantly decadent, your heart almost skips a bit when Judy Dench comes out as Queen Elizabeth. The costumes were designed by none other than the famous, Sandy Powell. 

You can see that there was no fooling around even with background actors in the costume design. Everyone was well dressed. 


Colin Firth looks striking with his beautiful gold edged ruff and his green doublet complete with a velvet cape.


I loved the contrast between Joseph Fiennes' doublet and the upper class' doublets. A leather doublet was not out of the norm, but how he chose to wear it was more like a modern day moto jacket. I loved the intricate stitching on it and the multicolor lining.


Gwyneth Paltrow looked stunning in her Elizabethan dress. Back then, it was normal to have beads and pearls stitched onto the dresses. The silhouettes were definitely period accurate, but like most costumes made for the big screen, there were things that weren't. For example, Sandy Powell went to a store to buy trim and lace for Gwyneth's collar, but since Elizabethan lace don't exist anymore and she chose Art Deco ones and they worked. Honestly, nobody could tell anyway.


Tada! Here's Queen Elizabeth! OMG. Can you imagine how long it took the costume shop to stitch everything on by hand?




Sandy Powell won the Oscars that year for best costume design. I can't imagine the amount of work it took into making this movie. 

Anyway, if you haven't seen the movie yet, make sure to put it on your bucket list. It won 7 Oscars so that says something!

Love,
Maggie S.








You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. You and your outfit are so beautiful! I loved reading this post; nice to see something different to the usual 'current fashion' posts. I'm glad someone else pays as much attention to the costumes in films as I do haha! So much work must go in to them so it's nice to appreciate it:) Followed you on bloglovin and I'd love if you could check out my blog too!
    lily x
    www.jolihouse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Lily! I'm a costume designer and I love seeing all the details that go into the costumes. :) Will check out your blog.

      Delete
  2. such a lovely look, that skirt is gorgeous! love period dramas as well, surprised i haven't seen this one yet. totally going to check it out, thanks for the recommendation.

    x
    http://1finedai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This movie was already on my "bucket list" but I must admit this post has made it move straight to the top of the list! Wow, so amazing to imagine how much detailed work was put into the costuming.

    xo, Liz
    Casual Concern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui Mademoiselle~ It's one of the most beautiful period costume designs ever made. :)

      Delete

Follow by Email

Flickr Images