Master and Commander

jacket: ali ro, jeans: forever 21, boots: ebay, bag: gift Hey guys, sorry for not posting in over a week. I've been sup...



jacket: ali ro, jeans: forever 21, boots: ebay, bag: gift

Hey guys, sorry for not posting in over a week. I've been super busy working on short films for the past 3 weeks. It's been cray cray. I just got hired to do horror short in 2 weeks! Wohoo! I'm also going to Hong Kong in November so I'll make sure to post more on my trip too.

Anyway, I don't really know what it is, but i have a slight obsession of military jackets, particularly the British jacket. I love the epaulette details on the shoulders, especially if there's fringe and I love the beautiful ornate details on the buttons. I'm thinking of swapping all the buttons out on this jacket to make it even more military inspired. Haha. If you follow me on instagram, you'll know that I've bought this jacket awhile now. I haven't really been able to wear it much because of the hot weather in LA, but it's starting to cool down. 

Today's movie is going to be on "Master and Commander," costume design by Wendy Stites. I found a great blog that gives really good extensive detail on the costumes. Make sure to check it out:
(http://hellotailor.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/master-commander-far-side-of-world-part.html)

Here we have Russell Crowe in probably his best looking part of the film. He has his hat and his coat is definitely more ornate. Since he was the commanding officer, he was the only one with the epaulette detail on his coat. at.


Here's him again, but less gold trim and formal. His vest isn't buttoned all the way and he's not wearing his hat.


The film is set in 1805 where the "red coats" uniform wasn't really established yet. The purpose during that time was to mainly set apart the upper and middle class and of course, to establish who was in charge. Everyone wore the same coats, but men put a little bit more of their own flare on their uniforms, either with a different cravat/jabot or just simply worn slightly differently. 



I really love the highly controlled color palette of this film. If you have a chance, make sure to watch it. You'll see that Wendy Stites did a great job with giving each men some sort of personality in their costumes. The film won Best Cinematography so I think it's a watch. 

Talk to you guys soon.

Maggie S.



You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. cool look :) fantastic jacket :)
    http://pantherstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the jacket~~~! Super chic and you look gorgeous with the outfit! :)
    www.fitfabfunmom.com

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Flickr Images