Les Misérables

jacket: zara, skirt: f21, bag: marc by marc jacobs, heels: bakers, belt: hk, sunglasses: h&m I hate how LA is still so freaki...


jacket: zara, skirt: f21, bag: marc by marc jacobs, heels: bakers, belt: hk, sunglasses: h&m

I hate how LA is still so freaking hot. It's October and the heat doesn't seem to be dying down. I can't wait to wear Fall items, but the weather really prohibits that. Although, at night, it does get cooler. The whole day I was practically only wearing the white t-shirt and the skirt. I don't have much to say about this outfit because I didn't really do anything crazy. Often times, I'm a pretty laid back person so simplicity is usually key in my outfits. Although, the different patterns on my jacket and skirt definitely change that. 

Now onto costume design. If you haven't seen Les Misérables yet, you must. Don't expect it to be a "film." It's based off of the musical so there's a lot of singing obviously. Anyway, I'm not going to get into the other details of this film. There's so much to cover in costume design. Paco Delgado was up for his first Oscar nomination with this film so it's quite amazing. I absolutely loved the color palette. It was a highly stylized film, meaning a lot of the costumes were based off of research from the period, but he had a tight color palette and of course, he mixed a lot of prints and patterns to make it more visually appealing. 

Here's a sketch of the factory workers. I really loved this scene. 



The uniforms were in blue, but Paco had them all wear different blue patterned dresses and Fantine (Anne Hathaway) in a pink dress to make her stand out against the crowd.

I'm pretty sure there were different patchworks done on this dress. 


Here's the color palette of the young revolutionary students leading the rebellion. Don't you love the different patterned vests?



Because none of the colors were overly powerful, mixing different patterns definitely gives more interest to the eye. That's kind of the key to mixing prints. You want to keep the color palette of your outfit neutral and let the patterns speak for itself. You don't want to overwhelm the eye. 



I wish men would still dress like this with those frock coats. 


A sweet sketch of our dear Cosette in a pretty pink dress. 

Here's a more detailed image of Carter's corset along with other people from her tavern. 

Isn't the leaf detail on his collar gorgeous?

 

There were so many other great costumes from this film, but this post would be just way too long. Anyway, what did you guys think of the film? Did you like it? Have any of you seen the actual Broadway musical? Let me know!

Hope you guys have a great week!

Love,
Maggie S.












You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. We have exactly the same kind of weather here in Macau, i know, tell me about it! But you look really chic. i love the jacket specially! i have always been jealous of the LA weather but apparently there are still ups and downs to it.... hehe.

    xo, Carla
    www.CarlaViolet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Carla. I remember over the summer it was super hot in Macau, but it was more of the humidity that was killing me. :P

      Delete
  2. I love that print on your blazer! And I'm from LA, too. I know what you mean about the weather...ugh, times like this I wish we had REAL seasons!

    www.lamechic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! another blogger from LA! I know. LA needs to get with the program.

      Delete
  3. Love your outfit, so stylish. :)
    Love your bag too. :)

    Following you now, follow back? :)

    http://yourfashiontroubleshootingguide.blogspot.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can add me to the weather-frustrated LA crowd! I've been a musical theater nut ever since I was old enough to be taken, so I thought the movie Les Mis was divine. You could definitely watch it again and again and focus on a different facet of the production each time.

    www.casualconcern.com

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Flickr Images