Water for Elephants

whole outfit was from HK surprisingly @_@ sorry guys I was at the Mark Taper Forum the other day to watch Joe Turner's Com...



whole outfit was from HK surprisingly @_@ sorry guys

I was at the Mark Taper Forum the other day to watch Joe Turner's Come and Gone. I only had literally 5 minutes to take these shots. Haha. It's so beautiful here. It's a part of downtown LA that not a lot of people pay much attention to. Right across the street is the famous, beautiful Disney Concert Hall.

 The beautiful water fountain reminded me of the movie Water for Elephants. It's designed by Jacqueline West, who's also known for Argo and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I fell in love with the illustrations by Oksana Nedavniaya. They're absolutely beautiful. The subtle background image is genius! Oh, I forgot to mention, this film is set in the 1930s during the Great Depression. 




This dress was also amazing! It's so beautiful! Reese Witherspoon's hair looks amazing!


As an illustrator, it's important that every detail on the sketch is apparent because a lot of times, these are the sketches that the costume designer takes to costume shops where they get built. Because of the busy schedule of the designer, the sketch needs to have all the details on it correctly. One thing that I learned is that, men's vests have typically 6 buttons. Make sure not to draw more than that or the shop will be confused and just build it that way.


These gowns were stunning! This is the ultimate 30s dress with the bias cut. This was probably what the 30s was most well known as. Isn't it gorgeous?



Another amazing costume!



Did any of you see the movie?

Love,
Maggie S.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I never watched the movie, I always wanted too but forgot until now!

    P.S. cute outfit!

    the { cassiepaige }

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely Maggie :)) I've heard about this movie from my former instructor but never watched it ^^"
    Anyways, cute floral skirt ;)

    ❤ Jenny Tsang
    www.Tsangtastic.com
    NEW POST: Blooming In Blues

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Flickr Images