The Wizard and I

Wicked is my favorite musical. It was adapted from the book and brought to broadway, but the music is just so touching and beautiful. The l...

Wicked is my favorite musical. It was adapted from the book and brought to broadway, but the music is just so touching and beautiful. The lyrics are perfect for every song. I love how the story is from the Wicked Witch's perspective. I love how the script was written in a way where we recognize the iconic elements of the Wicked Witch. Elphaba just starts off with wearing a plain black dress, but adds on the hat, then the cape later on. It's just pure genius. 

Susan Hilferty was the costume designer of this musical and you can see the level of detail that went into Elphaba's dress! It's amazing!

Here's Glinda's pretty dress. I can assure you that there was plenty of sparkle. 


Here's the more plain dress that Elphaba wears. It's very Edwardian.


Here are some sketches! I'm not sure if she hired a sketch artist, but they're so cute and dainty.


So, the exciting thing this past year was that I got to work on a short film that was also from the Witch's perspective. This is a more realistic take then Wicked. The director, Jason Pangilinan wrote a beautiful, touching script, combining elements from both Wicked and Wizard of Oz. Basically, the story is about second chance. What if the witch was reincarnated on earth when water was poured on her, and she had another chance to make things right? I got to design and make the witch's dress.

Here's my sketch for Jason's film, Home:

Here's a link to the film, Home:
http://redhoodiefilms.com

It's only up for another week or so. Make sure to watch it. Let me know what you guys think of the film!

Love,

Maggie S.



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Love your concept. Keep it up. See my blog and website;‪http://FEELGOODANDLOOKGREAT.NET ‬‬‬‬‬
    http://feelgoodandlookgreat.blogspot.com
    Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Flickr Images