Antoinette

Shirt: HK, Baroque Skirt: Banggood.com, Bracelets: HK and F21, Necklace: Melrose Flea Market, Fuscia Heels: HK I bought this skirt fr...

Shirt: HK, Baroque Skirt: Banggood.com, Bracelets: HK and F21, Necklace: Melrose Flea Market, Fuscia Heels: HK

I bought this skirt from Banggood.com and I'm not really a big fan. I've been looking for a Baroque printed skirt for awhile now (ever since last year when Balmain did their PreFall Collection) and everything has just been so darn expensive. So when I saw this for less than $15, I had to get it. Unfortunately, the quality is bad and it's really not that great. I mean in photos, it looks amazing, but I don't think I'm going to be buying from that site again. The shipping took really long (it was from China). I don't know. I know a lot of lookbook gurus get stuff for free from Chinese exporting websites, but honestly, it takes a long time for your package to come and also, returning it is always a hassle. So although it might be cheap, just be careful and make sure to read the description so you know exactly what type of quality you're getting. 

Anyway, enough of me ranting. Today's film is Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette. This movie was so deliciously decadent. I watched a behind the scenes footage on the costumes and Milena Canonero (costume designer) took Sofia's vision and made it into a beautiful reality. Sofia wanted the costumes to be like delicious pastries and Milena totally did that with the costumes. She kept the silhouette period accurate and created a pastel color palette.  Hence, the famous quote, "So let them eat cake."



Aren't these girls adorable? Did you know, during this time period, little boys were dressed as little girls? 


A little costume history here. There were two main types of robes during this period that were the most popular: Robe a la Francaise and Robe a L'Anglaise. The French always wore robe a la francaise because well, they were French. The thing that set these two robes apart was the back. The robe a la francaise had a watteau back (the pleats coming from the back) and the robe a l'anglaise didn't. The front looked exactly the same though. So there you go, a little 101 on costume history.


Also, did you ever notice the pastel Converse shoes in the background? ;)




Love,
Maggie S.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. wahahaha who's converse is that???? the queen's? :)
    I haven't watch this movie but i went to a cafe call Antoinette in singapore!
    There is even a signture cake call Antoinette!

    love ,
    canria
    www.luxurydayoff.com

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Flickr Images