The Magic Flute

I know what you're thinking. There's no magic flute in this outfit. Haha. Well, this is sort of inspired by Yoshitaka Amano...



I know what you're thinking. There's no magic flute in this outfit. Haha. Well, this is sort of inspired by Yoshitaka Amano's (my favorite artist) drawings and paintings. His watercolor paintings are soft and fluid, yet there's also a sense of darkness to them. Similarly, I never really like to dress up super girly. I always like to find a balance. This lace flowy dress would be really hard to wear on a normal basis just because it almost looks like a wedding dress. I just added a black leather jacket and it makes it more wearable during the day. 

Anyway, The Magic Flute is a two act opera piece by the famous, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. It's a classic fairy tale story. The prince rescues the princess from captivity and their love is tested through fire. It was one of my favorite projects to design because of the fantasy element. I took inspiration from Amano and transformed this German opera to a Japanese inspired piece. You might also know Amano through his famous works for Final Fantasy and Vampire Hunter D. 

Here's a collage of his work that inspired by costume designs:


And here are some of my sketches. You can see all of them on my website: www.maggieschan.com

 

Anyway, have a good weekend! 

Love, 
Maggie S.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wow that is such a beautiful dress! Where is it from? It reminds me of something i've seen from bcbg's ss13 collection
    x.

    Mai
    www.socapricious.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about the need to balance certain outfits. I really love the combination of the dress with the leather jacket, because it does just that, it's like two opposites that compliment each other. The bracelets are also really cool!

    X
    Inbal
    Bullchic

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Flickr Images