Juliet

I'm a big fan of William Shakespeare. I have to admit though, Romeo and Juliet is my least favorite. There's just too much drama...


I'm a big fan of William Shakespeare. I have to admit though, Romeo and Juliet is my least favorite. There's just too much drama for a couple that's not even 15. Anyhow, this is my Juliet-inspired look. I really love the cut of this Nine West dress. The pattern doesn't show up in the pictures, but it's actually a very subtle gold leopard print. It's hardly noticeable in person too, but I love the intricate detail on this dress. I added a snake arm band that I used in a film I worked on before to complete the look. The headpiece is actually a Forever21 necklace that I DIY'd. Let me know if you guys are interested in it. I'm thinking about opening an Etsy store on custom made jewelry.



This is a 1930s film of Romeo (Leslie Howard) and Juliet (Norma Shearer). This was loosely period accurate and heavily 1930s inspired. Juliet's gown draped beautifully with the invention of the bias cut. Men in Shakespearean time never wore pants, they wore breeches or also known as pumpkin pants. Even their hair and makeup is reflective of their current time period. 

Then in 1968, Franco Zeffirelli came out with another version. This time, the clothes were a lot more accurate to the actual time period of William Shakespeare. I believe the costume designer had set this in a slightly earlier time period than the Elizabethan era because breeches were not created yet. Also, with the introduction of color to television, we can clearly see the difference between the opposing families. 



Then of course, most of us remember the 1995 version with Claire Danes and Leonardo Dicaprio. I'm not going to post photos of that film just cause it was set in modern times.

Happy Sunday everyone~
I also went to the Melrose Flea Market today. Will post some photos later.

With Love,

Maggie Chan

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I love your blog! This is such a great and unique idea <3 I shall be following it - do you have a bloglovin' account?
    www.lessismorebeauty.com

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Flickr Images